Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Honors Blog #3

If I could modernize one program from the FDR’s new deal I would change the social security act of 1965, which was a created as a “fix” for the “Great Depression”. Social Security provided pensions, unemployment insurance, and aid to blind, deaf, disabled, and needy children.


I believe that since we are in the “Great Recession” the government needs to expand on Social Security or create another program which mimics it. When I say expand Social Security I mean adding something like an expansion pack and calling it the Social Security reform of 2010 or 2011, depending on when it is approved. I think what needs to be changed or added is the amount of people eligible for Social Security.

I think that veterans, even ones who aren’t disabled after war, should also receive aid because even if they got lucky and weren’t tremendously hurt in war doesn’t mean they weren’t fighting for our country like the others did. I think that all veterans deserve extra help because they are fighting for everyone.

I believe that another thing that should be changed about Social Security is the price because it can be too high especially for retired people who don’t have any income so that their families can better afford it.

I believe that if the expansion of Social Security doesn’t work another program should be created that can be used as another option. It would have the same things as social security plus aid to all veterans and it would be more affordable. I think that this second option would help people live better lives because they can use money not spent on Social Security to purchase other things that are needed for life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment