Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Honors Blog #2

Choice #3) In a well developed, thoughtful piece of writing that uses direct quotes, explain the use of symbols to develop a theme in your novel.


Grapes of Wrath


Theme:
Power of Family, Faith, and Fellowship
"twenty families became one family, the children were the children of all. The loss of home became one loss, and the golden time in the west was one dream"
This quote shows that through all the trials everyone was faced with they still can come together through sharing the family connections. Family was the most important thing for the Joads without each other they would have never made it.


"I ain't preachin' no more much. The sperit ain't in the people much no more; and worse'n that, the sperit ain't in me no more. 'Course now an' again the sperit gets movin' an' I rip out a meetin', or when folks sets out food, I give 'em a grace, but my heart ain't in it. I on'y do it 'cause they expect it."
This quote shows the affects the loss of faith has on the people in this book. Jim Casy lost his faith for aw while and he didn't make it through the book. Faith is kind of what kept the people going.


"Maybe all men got one big soul ever'body's a part of."
This quote to me stands for the family and faith theme of the book because Tom say they are all one big soul so they are all one family. I think it also means that the one big soul could be the faith or the god they follow/worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment